Old 31-12-2003, 07:27 PM
RedForeman ©®

Default Help getting a light going

I like your attitude, and give yourself some credit for trying....

Is it possible that your ballast is made for a different bulb?

As I recall, there is a screw in MH and a double ended MH, and it sounds
like your ballast is for a double ended ballast, and your bulbs are screw
in....

I could VERY well be wrong, and if so, my advice would be, take it to home
depot or lowes and hope there is someone there that has MH ballast
experience....

Also, there's this group for sal****er tanks, rec.aquaria.marine.misc and
rec.aquaria.marine.reefs

Ask Marc Levenson or Richard Reynolds or even Greg C. they are all known MH
users and helpers....

--

RedForeman ©®

"PegLegAlexK" wrote in message
I realize I'm a little out of my league here but its do or die.
Santa didn't include an electrician nor the cash to aquire one.
I'm not worried because we're doing the testing out in the shed.
I figure it will either burn up, blow up or light up.

Everything came in a kit from a "perfect feedback" seller on ebay.
From his history he sells many ballasts. I asked him but he only
"sells" them doesn't "wire" them.

As far as the cap in the wrong place, there was only one wire marked
cap so I thought it had to be the one.

There are 7 wires running from the ballast.
Visually 6 "come from" one coil,
1- 277
1- 240
1- 208
1- 120
2- Com

1- "comes from" the other coil and is marked cap.

I've done a lot of house wiring but this stuff is a little different.
I'm thinking maybe I need a white and black on that cap.
Of course I could not hold anybody else but myself responsible
should anything go haywire.

"If its gonna sit unused forever on a shelf
its gonna sit there charred and smelly"