Old 31-12-2003, 07:57 PM
Gail Futoran

Default non-phosphate buffers?

"Pittie" wrote in message
Thanks for your help. You are right that I dont want to

mess with CO2. Did
it before with yeast and worked well but was a pain.

Pressurized cylinders
too much cash and effort also. You did hit the nail with

the stability of a
purely bicarbonate buffer. It raises the pH too high if I

add enough but at
low concentrations its not an effective buffer. I will

keep looking for a
non phos. buffer and let everyone know if I have any luck.

Thanks, John

Seachem makes a variety of buffers. My LFS carries them and
it's a pretty small store. You might check the Seachem site
to see if there's enough information there for you to decide
whether to try them.
http://www.seachem.com/seachemframeset.html

I'm debating buying the alkaline buffer since my pH keeps
getting quite low (even 6.0 in one tank, but partial water
changes raised it back up), with low kH (2!), but as yet I
haven't made the attempt. Wimp that I am.

Gail