Old 31-12-2003, 08:27 PM
Ka30P

Default OT ~ Mad Moo Cow in SE WA

BV wrote Why? The meat sources surely could be indentical?

Because of what I read about 'advanced meat recovery'.
When the folks at the store grind the beef they use muscle cuts.
But stuff from processing places may have used
the advanced meat recovery where they use high pressure water to remove meat
from the spinal cords. One test showed 30% of that beef contaminated with
spinal cord tissue. This beef will be put into hamburger, meatballs, taco
filling, bologna, pizza toppings.
Reportedly this will be banned in the future.
I'm having a hard time trusting that the industry is
really as safe as it could have been. Since they said they knew that mad cow
would show up eventually why did they keep downer cattle in the system, use
stuff contaminated with spinal cord tissue and only test 20,000 out of 65
million cattle slaughtered a year? Many countries test 100%. I heard one fellow
say that 100% testing of US cattle would only add 3 cents a pound to the cost.
Fine by me ;-)

ka30p
http://www.geocities.com/watergarden...dors/home.html