Old 31-12-2003, 10:32 PM
Steve

Default squirrels and peaches

Dianna Visek wrote:
Last summer was our first significant crop on our new peach trees. We
found that squirrels like peaches enormously greener than humans do!
Does anybody have experience keeping squirrels out of small trees?

TIA, Dianna

You could get even by painting the trunk and lower branches with tangle
trap. You would have some very messy squirrels! (probably not really a
good idea)

If the only way into the trees is up the trunk, there may be a chance.
If there are branches so low to the ground that squirrels can jump up to
them, your options are few.
Peaches are usually trained with a very short trunk before the branches
start. If, by chance, yours have a tall trunk, you might try stacking 2
liter soda bottles or pop bottles depending on where you live ;-)around
the trunk. Cut off the top and bottom, then slit the side. Slip them
around the trunk and stack as many as needed. They are very slippery
(remove the paper label) and hard to climb. (A single bottle half way up
my bird feeder pole was what finally worked for me.)
It depends on how smart and determined your squirrels are. I'm SURE some
have figured out how get around soda bottles.

OK, so the trunks are probably too short. I wonder what would happen if
you sprayed hot pepper wax on the green peaches they would get to first?
By harvest time it would be weakened and you will peel them anyway,
right? Just a thought.

Steve (the other one)