Old 31-12-2003, 11:33 PM
Janet Baraclough ..

Default Boundary crossing deterrents(was tree cat damage)

The message

In article ,
Janet Baraclough wrote:
The message
from
contains these words:

But surely if you can only become injured by clambering over said
wall/fence, you cease to be a passer by and become an unwelcome visitor

Unwelcome visitors, thieves and burglars are entitled to go about
their business unmolested by their victims, as Tony Martin discovered.

So, the next time you get lost and go to the wrong house, the owner
should be entitled to shoot you in the back as you leave?

I don't break into or enter a stranger's home uninvited to "seek
directions"..and having been on the receiving end of that tactic, I
don't have any sympathy for those who do. It's a classic con-trick at
isolated rural houses. If you're lost or need help, bang on the door and
wait, or stand outside and shout, but don't start a private search for
petrol, ropes, tools, tyres, phone, drinks of water, rabbits(!),or your
dear old uncle (all excuses I've encountered).

The last "help seeker" who let himself into my house without knocking
and found me alone, left in a hurry but went on minutes later to force
an entry by kicking in a door a mile away and demanding money from a
lone 76 yr old woman. A week later the same intruder broke into another
house nearby at night, and was caught inside by the male occupier. While
he was waiting for the police to arrive, the intruder fell down the
stairs.

Yes, Martin's victims were attempting burglary, but that does not
justify shooting them as they fled.

Surprise, Nick...you're agreeing with my post above.

Janet.