Old 31-12-2003, 11:42 PM
Anne Lurie

Default OT ~ Mad Moo Cow in SE WA

BV,

I don't think it's the *source* of the meat that is the problem so much as
the meat's proximity to the animal's nervous system (brain, spinal cord,
etc.)

I read that boneless cuts of beef allegedly are the safest, and
mechanically-separated (or whatever term) meat is the least safe; therefore,
ground meat prepared from a known cut of boneless beef should be a whole lot
safer than the prepackaged tubes of hamburger. (I don't know which grocery
stores grind their own meat, but I'm *positive* that the tube packages are
not prepared on-site.)

I'm debating whether or not to use the oxtails that I have in the freezer
(oxtail makes fantastic soup), as oxtail was specifically mentioned on the
"risky" list along with brains, etc. (oxtails are sold as cross sections of
tail; attempting to cut off the meat would be pointless).

Anne Lurie
Raleigh, NC

"BenignVanilla" wrote in message

"Ka30P" wrote in message

John wrote "we grind our own, otherwise how do you know what is in

it?"

Yesterday I bought ground beef for the first time
since this happened and bought from the butcher's case instead of the

stuff out
on the shelves and I plan to do that from now on.

Why? The meat sources surely could be indentical?

BV.
www.iheartmypond.com