Old 31-12-2003, 11:42 PM
Joe Doe

Default HELLO!!!!!!!!!!!!echo echo echo echo...

In article , Whit wrote:
have a cherry tomato plant that is *still* bearing fruit! It's a "Tiny
Tom" I got from the farmers market on S. Congress, I planted it last
March and prettymuch ignored it- I've picked well over 200 little
tomatoes off this little plant since! Is it possible to dry a tomato to
get the seed? I'd love another of these and it would be fun to try to
grow it from seed.

For it to come true from saved seeds depends on if it is a F1 hybrid
tomato plant or open pollinated.

In a hybrid two parents that differ at any number of genes were crossed to
produce hybrid seeds (plants). This is called the F1 generation (what you
can buy). The different parental genes in the seeds produced from these
plants will segregate in the second generation (your saved seeds). So
each plant that comes up will have varying traits of the parents. You
may or may not care for what grows. How different they are depends on
the nature of the parents. If you like what comes up you can try and "fix"
the desired trait in subsequent generations.

Since your plant is alive you can also propagate it by leaf cuttings.

In an open pollinated variety, the flowers will self fertilize if you have
adequate isolation distances (10 feet between varieties for home users and
much more for commercial seed producers) and the seeds from these will
come true and be identical to the parent.

I do not know if Tiny tom is open pollinated or a hybrid. A casual google
search reveals something called micro tom and tiny tim. I do not know if
either are related to what you have.

If you want to save seed, there are several web sources for open
pollinated tomato varieties (usually whatever you can buy at Home Depot,
Lowes and garden stores as plants tend to be F1 hybrid although a small
number of open pollinated types are sold).

Roland