Old 01-01-2004, 05:02 PM
simy1

Default Thermometers - preferably digital and remote - recommendations

DigitalVinyl wrote in message . ..
Last year was my first year gardening. I'm very detail oriented and I
used a remote digital thermometer to monitor the temps in the garden

It is a small detail for perennials that are well adapted to your
site. It is a big detail, at least for veggies and tender annuals and
also if you do any sort of gardening under cover. It took me two years
to find out that my garden location, located in a depression of my
yard which minimizes watering, was also up to 8 degrees colder (min
temps) than outside my south windows. That, coupled to shadow until
noon in the summer, makes it a bad location for warm weather veggies
(I am a greens-oriented gardener, but it would be nice to have twice
as many Brandywines, in August as opposed to Labor Day). So I really
need four temperatures at my place, inside, inside the hoophouse,
outside my window on the patio where I grow seedlings (one year I lost
every cabbage seedling on a hot April day, even though they were
outside), and in the garden. Plus soil temperature in garden and
hoophouse, of course, though that varies slowly and can be measured by
hand
once a month.