Old 01-01-2004, 05:32 PM
Steve

Default squirrels and peaches

Steve Calvin wrote:
Sam wrote:

I also trap and relocate them, this past year I relocated 22
squirrels, 21
possums and 19 coons. It is the first year I have gotten more than a
handful
of pecans off my two trees. I still have plenty of coons and possums but
have not seen a squirrel in a couple months.

Check your local laws prior do relocating. In New York, it's illegal to
trap, relocated, and release animals.

It is? I guess I'll have to be careful and not get caught! They sell
live traps in NY. I wonder what they think people are using them for?

So Sam, (or anyone else) what is the best way to get a squirrel into a
live trap? What bait is hard for them to resist? I haven't relocated any
squirrels yet but would like to, in spite of Steve's warning.
I'm way too far north for pecans but I do have some very hardy hazel
nuts that try to produce a good crop 2 or 3 times a decade. The
squirrels just about get them all.

Steve (the other one) in Northern NY