Old 01-01-2004, 06:03 PM
J Kolenovsky

Default Fast Growing Tall Hedge?

A specimen that would make a 20' - 35' screen more than likely would
have be be purchsed nearly mature if you wanted it asap. Depending of
how fast is fast may also depend on what you select.
(purchase a 10' specimen that grows 2' a year or similar, if 5 years is
fast?)

Perhaps spemimens along the lines of spruce, fir, balsam,{ Cedars },
cypress, hemlock?

daecc wrote:
=

I am looking for something that would make a 20' to 35' tall privacy
screen. Agressive rooting would be a plus as I'm planting along the
top edge of a large hill. Also, medium to wide span would be a plus.
And of course, I want it fast. "Weed" trees and shrubs are fine with
me.
=

My main concern is height and speed. I'm willing to sacrifice a
little height to gain faster growth. The Washington Hawthorn sounds
nice, but isn't as fast as I want. Hybrid Willows grow too tall.
Olives aren't quite tall enough, but would suffice if they met my
other criteria. The Siberian Elm is a little taller than I'm looking
for (around 45'), but could work since it can be trimmed.
=

I am basing this on reading catalogs/advertisements. However, I'm
looking for practical experience now. I live in SE Ohio (Zone 6).
=

Thanks!

-- =

Celestial Habitats by J. Kolenovsky