Old 01-01-2004, 06:46 PM
Steve J. Noll

Default will mosquito fish survive the winter?

I think this is one that falls into 'your mileage may vary' and
'every pond is different'...

I received 40 mosquito fish from the local vector control district
near the end of October. They said they were collected from the wild.
I quaranteened them for 2 weeks before introducting them to my
24"-30" deep 2500 gallon pond here in zone 10. The water temp hasn't
been under 48F since then, and, I haven't seen one mosquito fish
dead or alive since a couple weeks after adding them.

Maybe the Koi ate them? I didn't think they were supposed to,
especially as the mosquito fish are/were much faster than the Koi.

Steve J. Noll | Ventura California