Old 01-01-2004, 07:37 PM
Moontanman

Default Hobby Ethics

I live in a land infested with Muscovy Ducks, toxic Bufo Toads, and
Melaleuca trees are soaking up my Everglades.... all non natives, all
introduced by folks who thought they knew better.

Good point Toni, keeping any fish would be ok if the owners took complete
responsibility for their pets from birth to death but too many people seem to
think that fish can be released when they are done with them. BTW don't give
hobbiests too hard a time most of the worst releases are made by the state to
enhance sport fishing. Not many aquarium fish can become established outside of
the deep south but even if the fish you relese will be killed by the winter
they may be carrying fish deseases that can infect the native fish and have a
very bad impact at some future date. that's why we have to have laws, because
people will not take resposibility for their freedoms.
remove nospam from e-mail to send to me, I grow trees in aquariums like bonsai.
I breed dwarf crayfish, great for planted community tanks. If you can get me a
shovelnose sturgeon fingerling (Scaphirhynchus platorynchus) no wild caught
please, contact me