Old 02-01-2004, 03:02 AM
Cereoid-UR12-

Default Sedum? Now???

Exactly to which "Sedums" is it you allude? You need to be more specific.

Sedum is a very large genus, even with the recent removal of many species to
other genera, found throughout the Northern Hemisphere in arctic, temperate
and tropical regions into Africa and the Andes of South America. So, it is
impossible to generalize on their winter care.

Regardless of their origin, they are leaf succulents and should never be
covered, even in winter.

I do suspect that your plants are actually deciduous Hylotelephium cultivars
and not true Sedum at all. None-the-less, do not cover them. All the
Hylotelephium are completely cold hardy.

HA HA Budys Here wrote in message
I'm in zone 7a according to the USDA zone hardiness map. We've had some

snow,
but it's been gone a while and the temps lately have been in the mid-40's

low 50's (day) and barely touching freezing at night.

Was out tidying up the yard and sucking up some errant leaves and found

both my
Sedum plants are sending up new shoots... LOTS of new shoots.

What's going on can't they tell time? Are sedum somewhat cold-hardy?

At any rate, I now have a couple pails full of oak tree leaves shredded by

the
leaf blower/shredding machine. Should I use this to cover the Sedum or

just
leave them as they are now - all cleaned up in a winter-bare bed and

exposed to
whatever Mother Nature throws on them?

Thanks in advance!