Old 02-01-2004, 04:03 AM
Steve

Default Hybrid corn

I have done that.
Three years ago I grew Seneca Horizon corn. It's a very good early corn
but my family prefers the super sweet (sh2) hybrids. A few ears of
Seneca Horizon went unpicked as we moved on to the later varieties.
I found them when I was cleaning up the gardens. Since this one was
grown in my smaller garden over in the corner of the yard, I knew there
was no crossing with the other corn. I saved a jar of seeds and sealed
them up with a dry packet of silica gel.
I grew some of that seed last summer and the year before. The corn was
very good. It was actually pretty uniform, as opposed to what I
expected. I have a feeling the plants were smaller than the original
hybrid but that could have just been the weather condition those years.
I wish I had grown some of the original Seneca Horizon along with it to
compare. I still have the saved seed and I could probably get some of it
to grow a 3rd year. I'll only do that if I happen to buy some fresh
Seneca Horizon to grow next to it.

Steve

Bill Bolle wrote:
Does anybody have any FIRST HAND experiences with growing hybrid corn
from the seed of hybrid corn saved from the previous season? I am aware
of all the cautions in all of the garden books but I'm looking for
information from gardeners who have actually tried doing this. Some of
my garden this year will be devoted to growing some of the hybrid seed
from veggies grown last year just to see what I get.
Any info will be greatly appreciated------Bill