Old 02-01-2004, 05:32 AM
Tom La Bron

Default OT ~ Wind chimes

Jan,

Here in North Central Oklahoma it is not uncommon to have 40 plus MPH winds,
and the large tube wind chimes can really get to swaying and getting twisted
around and with the clapper for the chimes, in addition, if they are close
to the house they can damage siding, (I have seen some tube sets with tubes
four or five feet long and can have quite a reach when their hanging
materials is calculated into the equation) and generally mar the finish on
the tubes themselves and can get dented (sometimes affecting the tone) or if
close to uprights like on porches can mar these also. In addition, the
lower sounding chimes can send sounds/vibrations through the walls of your
home that can be heard.

My mother loves wind chimes and she had a bunch of them, but when the
weather turned bad she had special lengths of cloth on the porches and
patios to tie the chimes together when the wind really kicked up. Plus
witch neighbors in your proximity you have to understand that the lower
tones will travel further and definitely could bother the people next door.

The ones that I have were ones that my Grandpa used to make and sell. I
don't have any of the long tubed ones because he said they were to hard to
get the proper lengths to get a good sound, so he never made any.

Tom L.L.
"~ jan JJsPond.us" wrote in message
news
Tom, you mentioned high winds and swinging pipes of the windchimes. What
is
the concern regarding this? Hitting the house? Or is there actually damage
to the pipes if they get to swinging too much? ~ jan
~ jan