Old 02-01-2004, 08:13 AM
mich

Default Emotions and Gardens.

"anton" wrote in message

mich wrote in message .

Anyone ever come across anything like this in their garden?
Likely answers to a cause? rational ones would be good , but I'll

entertain
anything within reason!
Any solutions?

I had the same sensation also when digging in the garden, for a little

while
before unearthing a chicken carcase in a tesco bag,
so it had putrefied rather than rotted wholesomely.

Perhaps checking the area for bad drainage, which can result in anaerobic
decay and 'off'- smells might be worthwhile.

Thanks for the suggestion.

There was a compost heap in the one corner ( behind the greenhouse) when I
first arrived but I have removed that. Also I take on board some of what you
say, since I know from trying to clear and dig this area that there is a
large amount of rubble burried in the strip. It was apparently once a
greenhouse ( or rather a large market garden type greenhouse occupied the
strip) , but it was knocked down at least two owners ago and it seems the
rubble was imply burried in situ.

I have escavated quite a lot of it ( concrete blocks) and used them for
other things.

I had been toying with the idea of putting another greenhouse on this site
with hard flooring. The ground is quite beyond cultivation ( too much broken
glass and rubble)