Old 02-01-2004, 04:39 PM
neilw neilw is offline
Registered User

Default advice on a new planted tank setup

Hi guys,

I'm looking for advice on setting up a planted tank (again). Basically I have a rio125, I have 2 marine glow tubes already (as its a marine tank at the mo) can I use these and combine them with say 2 other tubes with a smaller photoperiod do you think?

I'm planning to use one of those cheap hagen CO2 yeast kit things as I sold my old CO2 unit.

For substrate I am thinking of a layer of flourite beneath gravel, Amano-esq. What I want to do is create a lawn effect hopefully with e tennelus if I can get hold of them or maybe g elantnoides although I've had trouble with them in the past. I've tried liliopsis but never been able to get it to grow. The rest of the tank will probably just be rocks, java moss/ferns and vallis. Also I want to use either RO water or filtered tapwater by an API filter or suchlike.

Do you have any thoughts on this, advice etc? I've kept planted tanks before but never tried it with this amount of light. My last tank did have quite a good growth of tennelus but I'm ashamed to admit I gave up because I couldn't get my tank to look anywhere near as good as an Amano tank.

So any advice would be spiffing. Cheers.