Old 02-01-2004, 05:02 PM
FarmerDill

Default Hybrid corn

Does anybody have any FIRST HAND experiences with growing hybrid corn
from the seed of hybrid corn saved from the previous season? I am
aware of all the cautions in all of the garden books but I'm looking
for information from gardeners who have actually tried doing this.
Some of my garden this year will be devoted to growing some of the
hybrid seed from veggies grown last year just to see what I get.
Any info will be greatly appreciated------Bill

Most of the modern hybrids show a minimum of variation in the F2 generation. I
frequently save seed from Silver Queen and use it to finish out rows or to spot
replant when I don't get a good stand. Older hybrids like Bantam Evergreen will
revert to parents more readily. Also true with tomatoes, Second generation
Fantastics seem as good as the first, but Big Boy will give you some pink
beefsteaks.