Old 02-01-2004, 06:42 PM
Mike Gilmore

Default Fast Growing Tall Hedge?

I am in a windy exposed location. During the last four years I have planted
a variety of windbreak plants including bamboo. Very much depends upon
location.
I have a line of Pinus radiata and Leyland cypress and the pine wins hands
down on all counts. If your area is mild and not too many gales and you
don't mind a deciduous plant in winter, I have found Salix basfordiana grow
in my garden from 3'hi x 2'wide to the top of a nearby telegraph pole and
15'wide in four years! (It was planted to hide the 30' pole). Also, if
your climate can take Hoherias then the following are worthy of
investigation H lyallii and H. sexstylosa. Both trees do not pause after
planting but reach for the sky straight away with 3-4' vertical growth each
year. Can be somewhat short-lived (50 yrs) but they do have lovely white
blooms in early summer.

--
Regards
Mike Gilmore