Old 02-01-2004, 07:42 PM
~ jan JJsPond.us

Default will mosquito fish survive the winter?

In my experience, I've seen my koi chase down mosquito fish, this was a
rare koi though. I've also seen koi inadvertently eat one that was eating
on a koi stix. Stix & M.fish both sucked down. ~ jan

On 2 Jan 2004 10:08:09 -0600, "Lee B." wrote:

Steve, to the best of my knowledge, once fish/fry get beyond the "swimming
eyes" stage, koi don't eat them. I've seen larger fish spit out babies that
got between them and food when they were eating. Your 'skeeter fish are
probably either hiding, or got sucked up by your filtration. Have you
checked your filters?

Lee

"Steve J. Noll" wrote in message
. ..
I think this is one that falls into 'your mileage may vary' and
'every pond is different'...

I received 40 mosquito fish from the local vector control district
near the end of October. They said they were collected from the wild.
I quaranteened them for 2 weeks before introducting them to my
24"-30" deep 2500 gallon pond here in zone 10. The water temp hasn't
been under 48F since then, and, I haven't seen one mosquito fish
dead or alive since a couple weeks after adding them.

Maybe the Koi ate them? I didn't think they were supposed to,
especially as the mosquito fish are/were much faster than the Koi.

Steve J. Noll | Ventura California