Old 02-01-2004, 10:28 PM
Rusty Hinge

Default Syringa in a pot?

The message
from "Brian Watson" contains these words:

I have been given a Syringa (var.Katherine Havemeyer) by my daughter that I
really can't find a place for in my garden at the mo'.

Any idea whether It would survive and/or thrive in a 12" wide by 8" deep
pot?

You see, if potted, it *would* fit into a spot on my patio where it would
receive full sun but provide a bit of shade to those sitting out, enjoying a
Pimms or several in the summer.

I presume you don't mean Syringa vulgaris (lilac), but mock orange? If
the latter, they are quite difficult to kill, but you would need to keep
a potted one well watered and well fed.

I'd pot it up with a fair amount of bone meal or hoof and horn.

Someone else will be along any minute to tell you what sort of soil they
prefer.

--
Rusty
http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/hi-fi/