Old 03-01-2004, 08:12 AM
Malcolm Ogilvie

Default Robin on picture rail - OT, but need help

In article , Kay Easton
writes
As I type this there is a robin sitting on the picture rail. It's quite
a large room, but no opening window. Door opens directly into the hall
and stairway.

How am I going to get the robin back outside?

The same way I do, find out where it came in and (if it isn't a door)
leave it open so that it finds its own way out. Otherwise, leave it
alone in the room with the doors closed and deal with it in the morning
when it is light. It certainly won't hurt being indoors overnight,
except that it might get a taste for it and want to come inside every
evening!

In my experience(1), birds in houses, provided they are not being
chased, very, very rarely hurt themselves. It's humans trying to pick
them up that makes them panic. And, again in my experience, robins
anyway panic less than, say, starlings.

BTW, look for deposits in the morning. Behind pictures hanging on the
wall is a favourite place, only found when the picture is removed for
dusting (a rare event!).

(1) The following have all entered my house of their own volition:
robin, wren, blackbird, starling, sparrowhawk, house sparrow (being
chased by sparrowhawk - both survived), dunnock, chaffinch, greenfinch.
I am unsure whether I have a particularly welcoming house or it is
something to do with the wind and the rain that we (sometimes)
experience out west that makes the birds seek shelter.

--
Malcolm Ogilvie