Old 03-01-2004, 12:42 PM
Chris Stewart

Default Syringa in a pot?

"Brian Watson" wrote in message
I have been given a Syringa (var.Katherine Havemeyer) by my daughter that

really can't find a place for in my garden at the mo'.

Any idea whether It would survive and/or thrive in a 12" wide by 8" deep
pot?

You see, if potted, it *would* fit into a spot on my patio where it would
receive full sun but provide a bit of shade to those sitting out, enjoying

Pimms or several in the summer.
--
Brian
"Let's be grateful for our Fridays and face our Mondays with good humour."

Hi Brian,
I would give it a bigger pot, and some decent soil with good
drainage. It will survive - it may thrive, but you need to make sure the
growing conditions are OK - eg water it regularly, feed it regularly -
experiment with the fertilisers if you must, but a normal growmore would do.
It's not an exact science, but most things will grow in pots - (think bonsai
trees - they're in pots for years, but are maintained and fed.) Go on, give
it a bash - my ash, rowan, purple elder, hazel, minarette apples, phormium
etc all survive, outdoors in pots of varying sizes in Aberdeen, and don't do
as well as their cousins in the garden, but flower and look good never the
less.
Chris S