Old 03-01-2004, 01:14 PM
Henriette Kress

Default Harvesting Garlic

Taylors in Japan wrote:

I've been growing garlic in a window box planter since early last September.
The climate is subtropical (Osaka, Japan.) I started with a clove in five
spots and now have five plants growing. My question is, when would they be
ready to harvest?

You can eat the greens as they come up; you wouldn't get any bulbs, but
the greens are just as good. And that's the usual part used, for indoors
garlic.

For ground-grown, harvest-time is when the leaves are yellow or brown 2/3
of the way down. That's August, if planted in September, over here; but
we're sub-arctic or perhaps even arctic.

I don't think you can expect all that much garlic from pot-grown; and from
my experience with ginger, any harvest you do get would just taste of
dirt. But that's ginger, garlic could be different.

Do let us know.

Thanks,
Henriette (fup set.)

--