Old 03-01-2004, 01:48 PM

Default What can I grow?

"Chris Ridge" wrote in message news:TCSzb.28270$_M.121897@attbi_s54...
Hi all,

I've been growing orchids for about two years now. For the most part,
they're growing well and reblooming for me. I turned my dining room into a
plant and craft room, with the orchids in two south facing windows with
sheer curtains. The temp is around 65-70 at night and anywhere from 70-80
during the day-- standard Cymbidiums (haven't been
successful reblooming those yet),
Chris

Cymbidians need a chill. Some of the hybrids will bloom after
exposure to temps in the 40's, I've got a mystery cym that needs to
get down freezing. If you don't have an unheated area you might try
ice packs around the pots to make it think it has gotten the chill it
needs. It takes several days of that type of chill. In Alabama the
temperature wasn't as severe as Missouri. I would leave it outside
until the weather forecast temps below freezing (got down to 26
degrees once, burned the leaves, but bloomed). Except for temps below
the threshold (I watch for lows of 28 to 30 d. F) the plants stayed
out most of the winter.

In Missouri it's trickier because it seems to go between chill and
really cold. No borderline temps for long enough. My slap 'em up
along side the head, cym are back on the balcony right now, and I'm
watching the forecasted low temps, ready to bring them back inside.

After the spikes start forming, moderate the temperature. Too cold or
too warm will damage the spikes.

Nancyg