Old 03-01-2004, 02:42 PM
BTC/TAK on ACK

Default OT ~ Wind chimes

high winds. Hummm .. another tasker in the works??

But sooooo worth it! The sound from my bedroom is like an unusual
lullabye... very soothing!

We always seem to have some wind [I live on an island], so I just slip a
rubber-band around the pipes in unusually high-wind conditions. When the
winds lighten, I usually go right out to prune off any damage to plants, so
I just snip the band from the pipes too... fast and easy.

Mila

"Nedra" wrote in message
link.net...
I haven't gotten my wind chimes yet - but when I do they will be
hung in the redbud tree - away from the house and pond. It
does sound like it would be a good idea to bind them during
high winds. Hummm .. another tasker in the works?? LoL!

Sounds wonderful to have lots of snow
on the ground and "chapel bells" ringing.

Nedra

"~ jan JJsPond.us" wrote in message
Thanks Tom, I was wondering about binding them if they really got to
swinging, sounds like that would be a good idea. So far the highest wind
gust was 29, otherwise it was below 20 most the day and the chimes took

20+
well, not tangling.

They are too far away from anything, other than the roof above, to hit
themselves against. So far no complaints, and everyone was out shoveling
their walks several times today as we had snow fall all day long. ~ jan

On Thu, 1 Jan 2004 23:26:53 -0600, "Tom La Bron"

wrote:

Jan,

Here in North Central Oklahoma it is not uncommon to have 40 plus MPH

winds,
and the large tube wind chimes can really get to swaying and getting

twisted
around and with the clapper for the chimes, in addition, if they are

close
to the house they can damage siding, (I have seen some tube sets with

tubes
four or five feet long and can have quite a reach when their hanging
materials is calculated into the equation) and generally mar the finish

on
the tubes themselves and can get dented (sometimes affecting the tone)

or
if
close to uprights like on porches can mar these also. In addition, the
lower sounding chimes can send sounds/vibrations through the walls of

your
home that can be heard.

My mother loves wind chimes and she had a bunch of them, but when the
weather turned bad she had special lengths of cloth on the porches and
patios to tie the chimes together when the wind really kicked up. Plus
witch neighbors in your proximity you have to understand that the lower
tones will travel further and definitely could bother the people next

door.

The ones that I have were ones that my Grandpa used to make and sell.

don't have any of the long tubed ones because he said they were to hard

get the proper lengths to get a good sound, so he never made any.

Tom L.L.
"~ jan JJsPond.us" wrote in message
news Tom, you mentioned high winds and swinging pipes of the windchimes.

What
is
the concern regarding this? Hitting the house? Or is there actually

damage
to the pipes if they get to swinging too much? ~ jan
~ jan