Old 03-01-2004, 03:03 PM
Steve Calvin

Default Harvesting Garlic

Taylors in Japan wrote:

I've been growing garlic in a window box planter since early last September.
The climate is subtropical (Osaka, Japan.) I started with a clove in five
spots and now have five plants growing. My question is, when would they be
ready to harvest? I've heard spring is ideal but just wanted to get other
opinions.

Thanks.
JT

I don't know about that growing zone but then they are beginning to
mature you'll see a small round stem come out of the middle of the
leaves (called a scape) It will grow and an oblong bulb will begin to
form at the end and chances are it will begin to curl into a circle.
CUT THESE OFF as low as possible without cutting the leaves. You do
NOT want that bulb to flower. After that just leave 'em alone until
the main leaves are brown at least 2/3 of the way to dirt level or
more even. Use the scapes just as you would garlic, or maybe even as
an additional touch in a salad.

When the leaves have died, pull the garlic and you should have nicely
developed bulbs. Wash them off and hang them in a cool dry place for a
week or two at least (although they can be used at this point) After
they've dried well, cut off the top leaves from the bulbs and store in
a dark, cool, dry place.

--
Steve