Old 03-01-2004, 05:37 PM
doug.

Default Builders' sand for drainage?

In message , martin
writes
On Sat, 3 Jan 2004 11:33:24 +0000, "doug."
wrote:

In message , Simon Avery
writes
(Nick Maclaren) wrote:

Hello Nick

NM As Cormaic pointed out, builders' sand has not had salt in
NM it for many decades - at least not if bought from an even
NM half-respectable person.

They don't wash it at the quarry, and that's where I get mine from.
I'm a bit hazy about the geology side - I guess sand comes from both
sea and river sources, so if former it would surely have traces of
salt in it?

But I must admit, I've never licked it so can't say.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ ++++
For what it's worth, - I live near northside Morecambe bay and near my
house and three-quarters of a miles from the beach was a massive
sand-hill and the sand was used for building most of my town for
hundreds, - probably thousands of years. It is now gone, being worked
out.
I would assume that during all those many years the rains would have
filtered the salt down to the water table.
Are their any experts on the thread to give an opinion?.

Most of the drinking water in the west of the Netherlands is pumped
from under the coastal sand dunes. It is fresh, not salt water.

Most interesting and informative. Thank you.
--
Doug.