Old 04-01-2004, 12:59 AM
neilw neilw is offline
Registered User

Default advice on a new planted tank setup

thanks Carlos, sound advice there. Yeah he has a lot of skills, probably doesn't get out much, but then again if I had tanks like his I wouldn't either. I've been trying to keep a planted tank for years thats like Amanos. I can do a fairly good design and things grow to a certain point, but it seems my tanks have a half life of about 2-3 months, then algae breaks out and all hell breaks loose. At that point I feel like giving up! But the code must be cracked

Quote:
Originally posted by Carlos
Mr. Amano has the time, resources, and everything in his power to make a
tank look good for his pictures and books. So dont be frustrated by looking
at his tanks and thinking that because you cant make that you have to
destroy your tank. If I had the money, time and pictures I would make those
tanks also. Patience is the key, money well.....I have none and time,
well.........I have none either.............consider a low tech, high stock
tank with easy plants then move a bit to more complicated stuff, thats my
advice.

take care.

"neilw" wrote in message

Hi guys,

I'm looking for advice on setting up a planted tank (again). Basically
I have a rio125, I have 2 marine glow tubes already (as its a marine
tank at the mo) can I use these and combine them with say 2 other tubes
with a smaller photoperiod do you think?

I'm planning to use one of those cheap hagen CO2 yeast kit things as I
sold my old CO2 unit.

For substrate I am thinking of a layer of flourite beneath gravel,
Amano-esq. What I want to do is create a lawn effect hopefully with e
tennelus if I can get hold of them or maybe g elantnoides although I've
had trouble with them in the past. I've tried liliopsis but never been
able to get it to grow. The rest of the tank will probably just be
rocks, java moss/ferns and vallis. Also I want to use either RO water
or filtered tapwater by an API filter or suchlike.

Do you have any thoughts on this, advice etc? I've kept planted tanks
before but never tried it with this amount of light. My last tank did
have quite a good growth of tennelus but I'm ashamed to admit I gave up
because I couldn't get my tank to look anywhere near as good as an
Amano tank.

So any advice would be spiffing. Cheers.

--
neilw

News==----

Newsgroups