Old 04-01-2004, 02:31 AM
Rusty Hinge

Default Disease Resistant/Mildew Resistant Tomato

The message
from "SH" contains these words:

Just beginning to think about this year & how to prevent the problems that I
have been having in my greenhouse.
For the last 2 years I have had a poor crop of tomatoes due to disease /
mildew.
I suspect that the disease problem has been passed on by greenfly in the
form of a virus.
In an effort to counteract this can anybody suggest a couple of greenhouse
tomato varieties (must have a reasonable taste) that would be more
resilient.
My last 2 years varieties were Alsa Craig, Alicante & Tumbler.

Try disinfecting the greenhouse thoroughly - glass, structure and soil
with Jeyes Fluid, don't rinse it down afterwards, then grow your Ailsa
Craig (lovely tomato), Alicante and whatever else in gro-bags.

Keep well ventilated as tomatoes prefer dryish air, but you could cover
the vent(s) and door aperture with plastic flyscreen mesh to reduce the
risk of aphids getting in.

--
Rusty
http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/hi-fi/