Old 04-01-2004, 05:02 AM
mmarteen

Default WAS: Make your garden "bird friendly" now: Bird Gardens

Oops. Forgot to mention that I am in minneapolis, zone 4a. The space
is in the northwest corner of the lot, not optimal but does get a good
deal of sun especially in the afternoons. I'd love to do a bog garden,
maybe that will be in future versions.

mm

(MLEBLANCA) wrote in message ...
In article , "mmarteen"
writes:

I am thinking about planting a bird garden this spring in a now kind of ugly
area of my yard at the back of the house near the alley. Stuff I am
considering planting the

Two kinds of amaranth
Two kinds of millet
Sunflowers (various kinds)
Celosia (both the plumed kind and the cockscomb for looks)
I was also thinking about putting a bird bath among the sunflowers so that
they would have food and water.

I'd love to hear any other ideas on design, varieties of plants or
experiences people have had.

mm

Those are good plants for the birds, and the water is a good additon, too.
Where are you located? south, west, east, north?
Others in your area would have some suggestons I am sure,
for plants that would grow in your area.
I suggest some plants that have berries for later in the fall/winter.

Be aware tho, mm, that you may very well become addicted, and
soon your entire garden will be, literally, 'for the birds'!

Emilie
Nor Cal