Old 04-01-2004, 11:35 AM
hort-4

Default Scale problems on indoor herbs

"John Savage" wrote in message
om...
Eileen Gregory writes:
I'm wondering why this would be true? Would a strong plant have

something in
it's leaves to repel /discourage scale?
Eileen

there are very many species of pests parasites, microorganisms, etc. some
are
very host-specific. I doubt there is any plant species that lacks pests, etc
(in its native location).

John Savage wrote:

If a plant keeps getting scale that's probably an indication that the
plant is weak or not in good condition.

Apparently, yes. Healthy plants are able to fight off most of the
organisms and microorganisms that would like to make a meal of some
part of that plant, and to do this a healthy plant uses chemical or
physical methods. It is when the plant is stressed or in poor
condition that opportunistic invaders are able to get a foothold and
overwhelm the plant's defences.