Old 04-01-2004, 06:43 PM
Rod

Default Ivy Roots - Help

Tiger303 wrote:

moved in october to a new house and finally got round to emptying the
garden of mainly ivy growing over 3ft high walls.

the issue is the roots have grown in three seperate places underneath
walls (some of which ajoin neighbours garden) and i can't comnpltely
remove them. I've cut down as much as i can reach, but as i'm not going
to get round to putting raised beds over these remaining roots for a
month or so and i'm wondering what the best way is to stop the roots
from re-growing both now and for good.

i want to avoid putting down poison as it may damage an old beautiful
plum tree which was the only thing worth saving so any advice would be
greatly appreciated. if u need any more info just ask, cheers
--
Tiger303

Just found this unsent in my outbox - hope it's still useful.
I think you've probably done enough to see off the Ivy, it's not that difficult
to kill unless you're doing it on a huge scale. Glyphosate based weedkillers
like Roundup will be the safest way of mopping up any odd bits left when they
have grown a few leaves. Root out etc is not safe close to your Plum and rain
will move it about in the soil - you need to be sure where the feeding roots of
the Plum are (and they will be more extensive than you think)
--
Rod
http://website.lineone.net/%7Erodcraddock/index.html