Old 04-01-2004, 10:09 PM
Rusty Hinge1

Default Quince fruits (Recipe - long post)

The message

I regularly eat jams and jellies over 5 years old, and have eaten ones
over 10 years old. This Christmas, we ate japonica cheese that had been
open to the air since October 2001. It was excellent. But the key to
all of them is high acid and not low sugar.

When my parents moved in 1985, they took all the home-made jams and
marmalades with them.

When the house they moved to was sold about four years ago, I acquired
the remainder. Some of the jam was made in the 1960s, and still good,
though crystallised, with rock-hard nuggets of sugar amongst it. Half an
hour in the microwave set on defrost rectified the situation.

--
Rusty
http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/hi-fi/