Old 04-01-2004, 11:32 PM
Janet Baraclough ..

Default Gorse (Ulex Europeaus) as a garden plant

The message
from papanix contains these words:

Would anyone have any experience of using gorse in gardens? I
particularly need information on growth rate, how it responds to
pruning, how invasive it is, how it spreads itself, any recommended
cultivars (of the handful that exist)? many thanks if you can help. I
have serched google but in vain so far.

Just outside the entrance to Inverewe Garden, there used to be a very
attractive narrow hedge of gorse, about three feet high and trimmed
tight.

I love gorse and let several bushes of the wild single ulex europaeus
grow in my last garden. It sets a lot of seed so can be invasive; but
the seedlings are very easy to pull out by hand in the first two years.
Old plants can get leggy; then its best to hack off the old plant and
let a few of its seedlings come up in situ to replace it. They dislike
being transplanted, and grow fast. Wear leather gloves to work with it.

There's also a sterile double-flowered form, ulex europaeus
florepleno. I acquired a small potted plant last year which took a while
to establish itself when I planted it out, but I noticed the other day
that plenty of flower buds are forming. My plan is to keep it trimmed to
a dense cushiony shape.

Janet.