Old 05-01-2004, 05:32 AM
Tom La Bron

Default OT ~ Wind chimes

Nedra,

Of course, we don't head for the shelter when those special wind chimes
start ringing consistently, but I am a lot more likely to turn on the TV to
see if the weather people are saying that something may be in the offing,
weather-wise.

I am a transplant to this area via marriage and there was an old Indian tale
that no tornado would hit Pawnee. Well, even in my short stay in the town
this had been proved pretty accurate. Well, the State of Oklahoma, in their
infinite wisdom, decided to make the road less curvy west of town and
chopped 60 feet off the top of the hill west of town. That very fall after
the road was finished and in mid October (late in tornado season) a tornado
made its way through town via the cut made in the hill by the state highway
commission. Thank you State of Oklahoma. Since that time we have seen
tornadoes over Pawnee about three times since the October hit, luckily none
of them set down, but before then we had never seen one over the town. We
used to see the tornadoes west and north of town never over the town. What
was really interesting is that no one that I knew had ever complained about
the curviness of the road. The hill that had to be driven as a lot less
steep that want we now have to deal with now that we go over the hill
instead of around it, and when there is ice on the road it is the devil to
drive. In fact, I really liked that stretch of road for it was really
scenic and the only really problem that I ever found with it was that the
cell phone cut out and you drove that section, and other than that it was a
good road. What we have to suffer for progress.

Tom L.L.
----------------------
"Nedra" wrote in message
link.net...
I would much rather hear Chimes than a tornado horn ...
I suppose either can be very frightening though. I know
you are in Oklahoma, Tom. My Mom is from there -
Skiatook (sp) actually - and she
knows all about tornadoes. Missouri is no slouch in that
department but I think you all have us beat.

Nedra

"Tom La Bron" wrote in message
Nedra and Jan,

Wind Chimes can also be very useful. I have a set that is placed under

certain overhang here at the house and if these Chimes get to singing

really
continually, I know that the wind is coming from the "wrong" direction

and
that we will probably have to be making a run to the " 'fraidy hole" for
safety. It is almost as good has the tornado horn across the road, for
signally worry-some weather.

Tom L.L.
-------------
"Nedra" wrote in message
link.net...
Oscillating fan!! LOL! Now that's an idea....
I've heard about your snow. We are unseasonably warm, at
least for a couple more days. I do wish we would get snow.
I love snowy weather... even when I had the 30 mile commute.
Oh well... maybe we'll have another mild winter.

Nedra

"~ jan JJsPond.us" wrote in message
news Yes ... and my chimes came today!! They are hanging on the

overhang
at
the deck. The winds have died down alot. I can't
hear a thing ... Yet!!!! C'mon breezes!
Nedra

When I first hung mine it was calm. I used the baby monitor to hear

even
the slightest noise. DH went on an errand and said he wouldn't have

been
surprised, when he got back, to find the oscilliating fan out there.

Got breezes (and more snow) now, and don't even have to use the baby
monitor to hear them. ~ jan
~ jan