Old 05-01-2004, 07:32 AM
J Fortuna

Default My Phal is better than yours...

I have been thinking how those of us who have only a few or only one orchid
are much more likely to personalize our orchids than those who have a
greenhouse full of them. Similar to how a farmer will be less likely to
personalize animals than someone who has just one pet.

I would think that some personification is a harmless part of the excitement
of having a new plant. Though it can be dangerous if taken too far -- if one
were to neglect ones family while caring for ones orchids, let's say. I must
admit that all my orchids have nicknames, and I do sometimes talk to them
"Hello, my beauties" and such comments. On the other hand, I thought that a
colleague of mine overdid it when he accused me of not having sufficient
maternal instincts, upon learning that the one orchid that I have grown from
keiki-hood is not my favorite -- though I am fond of it too. (He had asked
me the trick question "If you only could keep one, would it be the one you
grew from keiki yourself?" And I said, "No, since the older ones are more
impressive.")

Using "she" for an orchid in English is a form of personification, though I
think harmless enough (I have been doing it a lot I admit). Interestingly in
other languages where all nouns have gender, using he or she may be more
appropriate for orchid. For example, in Polish there are two synonymous
words for orchid. "Orchidea" is female, and so if one uses this word one
would say she. Whereas "storczyk" is a masculine noun for orchid. In German
the words for orchid, flower and plant are female, but the word for girl is
neutral!

Joanna

"Ray" wrote in message
It's a plant, not a daughter or
girlfriend, and to be correct, it's both a "he" and a "she," so "it" is
probably more appropriate.