Old 05-01-2004, 09:33 AM
Jennifer Sparkes

Default Gorse (Ulex Europeaus) as a garden plant

The message
from papanix contains these words:

Would anyone have any experience of using gorse in gardens? ...Snip

Our front garden is open plan and quite long. When we bought the
house the narrow bed against our neighbours drive was planted with
roses. These were old and needed to be removed. However they were good
at stopping the paper boy/postman/whoever from taking a short cut
across our lawn and flower bed so what to replce them with? Finally
we decided on Ulex europaeus florepleno.

They were great and looked marvellous, especially in the early spring *but*
they must have been happy as they grew very fast. This meant I spent a lot
of time keeping them trimmed to avoid them growing over our neighbours drive.
In the end they grew so large we had to take them out. Yes hard work - well
summed up by Rod.

(Some of the prunings came in handy as cat deterrents on flower beds - fine
until they had rotted a bit and one forgot about them when weeding). ((

So given a place where they are happy certainly this strain grew well,
very well!

I woud have another but only one and in a spot where it can grow and
only need pruning once a year!

Jennifer
(in Bristol )