Old 05-01-2004, 03:06 PM
Ted Byers

Default how to measure light!

"Claude" wrote in message
.. .
Hi everyone?

How do you measure light!
Some of my fluorescent are about 10 inches frome my phal, and some are

about
6 inches.The brand of fluorescent is the Glow and Show, 20 inch long.
I would like to know if my phal are getting too much light or not enough

but
I don`t know how to do it?

If you have a decent light meter, used for photography, that would do the
job. But I would not go to that expense. Rather, I'd let the plant tell
me. You can judge by the colour of the leaves, to an extent. If they are
very dark, they're probably crying out for more light. If they are a very
pale green, or discolouring, they are probably weeping from sunburn. I have
my phals in a room with only a north facing window (for those who don't
know, Claude and I are both in Canada - so a north facing window NEVER gets
direct sunlight), and I provide a little supplementary light in the form of
a fluorescent bulbs in themiddle of the ceiling (i.e. a couple metres from
the plants). They are doing fine, with one that I have already rebloomed
under these conditions and another that is right now growing an
inflorescence.

OTOH, my catts are in south and east facing windows, and I have rebloomed a
couple of them, so I know they are getting enough light.

Whether catt or phal, the colour of their leaves is neither too dark nor too
light.

I recall you writing that your plants are growing well, so I doubt you're
having significant problems with too little or too much light.

Cheers,

Ted