Old 05-01-2004, 05:05 PM
Carl L Rosner

Default [IBC] Bucida spinosa

Nina and all:
When I obtained my Bucida spinosa, (it came from South Carolina) back in
September 2000, I placed it in my Green House and within two months did
not have a green leaf on it. The leaves turned a tan color and then
dropped off. I attributed it to the fact that it was coming from the
bright light of SC and I believe I was right. There were no pests or
fungus that I could see.

New leaves developed within the month and though it took over a year to
adapt to the lighting here in NJ, by dropping leaves a few more times
(in my green House) the tree is doing remarkably well. I do not over
water it, but I definitely stay on the side of caution never letting it
dry out as I do with Ficus. My only complaint about this tree is the
constant cleaning of the surrounding area picking up all those blasted
small leaves! :-D

Carl L. Rosner - near Atlantic City zone 6/7
http://bmee.net/rosner
http://www.jamesbaird.com/cgi-bin/Ja...d=00000068 48
http://www.jamesbaird.com/cgi-bin/Ja...d=00000068 48

Nina Shishkoff wrote:

Somebody wrote to me asking about a Bucida brought in for winter which then dropped its leaves. It sounds like the normal response to being brought indoors, but I have no experience with Bucida. Anyone want to comment?

-Nina

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++