Old 05-01-2004, 06:04 PM
Lydia

Default will mosquito fish survive the winter?

No, no. This is just a 5'x6'x2' hole in our backyard - not a natural pond.
I did hear from the good people of this ng when I first got them to be sure
that there is no way they would be introduced into any natural waterways
from my pond and I feel very confident we did.

Thanks for the concern!
Lydia [who isn't mad... angry-mad that is... crazy-mad is questionable]

"Moontanman" wrote in message

Oh Lydia, please tell me your gambusia are not in a natural pond! All

kidding
aside it's really too bad so many people really belive that gambusia are

great
at eating mosquitos. They are not, i live where gambusias are native and

they
don't do anything to control the mosquitos. they do eat other fishes eggs

and
fry (as well as their own) No critcizim of you intended but everyone

should
know what a threat to the ecosystem gambusia can be out side their natural
range. For mosquito control other small fish native to the area should be

used.
Actually around here the best control for mosquitos has been found to be
Enneacanthus sunfish but they can only be used if they are native to your

area.
Now that i have thoroughly made you mad rest assured the problem is not

with
you but with state wildlife officials that seem to think that exotic

release is
crime unless they do it. Gambusia have been released far outside their

range
with the mistaken idea they eat more mosquito larvae than other fish.

athough
other fish will eat gambusia they often stay in areas of the habitat that

other
fish cannot exploit and so avoid predation while eating the fry of other

fish
that do exploit the shallow water habitat. if this was a pond with no

outlet or
inlet which isn't connected it any way to the outside environment...

nevermind
;-)

The anti gambusia sociaty