Old 05-01-2004, 07:12 PM
Pam - gardengal

Default Backyard small trees/plant suggestions to attract song birds?

"sams" wrote in message
om...
Iam planing to plant small trees (6-8' tall)along my border wooden
fence line to add color to the monotone and also to attract song
birds. It would be better if its evergreen conifer types or any winter
hardy tree/plant. Doesnt matter if it dont fruit, since the birds here
at my backyard, dont seems to be eating them. Also should be easy to
care.

6-8' is VERY small for a tree - even many dwarf forms typically get larger
than that over time. You may want to investigate shrubs instead - there are
many, many shrubs you can choose from - flowering, fruiting, evergreen or
deciduous.

The UConn plant data base is an excellent resource - it will provide you
with a large selection of shrubs hardy for your area and suitable to your
garden conditions.
http://www.hort.uconn.edu/plants/

Song birds need cover, a safe perch, water and a food source. The food
source doesn't necessarily have to be the shrubs (although many berrying
shrubs are beloved by songbirds), but they need to attract insects which the
birds feed on. Perennials and ornamental grasses which develop appealing
seedheads are a good choice as well. Native plants are often suitable, but
you don't have to restrict your choice to those. Select what is attractive
to you and what requires low maintenance. If you have enough biodiversity,
the birds will come.

pam - gardengal