Old 05-01-2004, 08:21 PM
Rod

Default And in the New Year Garden......

Sacha wrote:

The NT garden Trelissick, reports having 250 different things in flower,
including something like 38 species of Camellia.
I was amazed to see our Cassea corymbosa in full flower just the other day -
it is a very strange winter but a pleasant one in those terms!

2 of our 50 or so Camellias, C. japonica 'Nobilissima, C. x Williamsii
'Inspiration' - C. x Williamsii 'St. Ewe' (one of my favourites) won't be long
and C. j. 'Cornish Snow' will probably open this week. Our poor little
Hammamelis 'Pallida' is at last looking as though it's here to stay. It's the
second attempt in that spot - the first one was doa and this one has been in
about 8 years. As so often with Hammamelis it was bought in flower in a
container which had been kept far too wet so it survived the first year by the
skin of its teeth, since then a Horse Chestnut dropped half of its crown on it,
then a nearby Beech dropped a limb on it and a storm last winter dropped a
couple of big lumps of Oak on it. What's left is a reasonable shape and it's
full of flowers and smelling wonderful. Nearly enough sweet violets to fill a
tiny vase but I resisted the temptation.
--
Rod
http://website.lineone.net/%7Erodcraddock/index.html