Old 05-01-2004, 08:26 PM
Franz Heymann

Default National collection of Diaschias

"Charlie Pridham" wrote in message

"Franz Heymann" wrote in message

"Rod" wrote in message
Franz Heymann wrote:

I see in another thread that Chris Boulby is the "curator" of the

national
collection of Diaschias.

I have a question, which is applicable not only to that collection,

but
all collections of plants whose hardiness is somewhat on the iffy

side:

Do you have to take cuttings annually of every variety in the

collection
in
order to be insured against winter losses, or is the collection kept

under
glass? (Or both?)

Franz

One point Chris mentioned very quickly and it's quite important. That

is
the
fact that in many cases there is more than one National collection -at

least
for the more popular genera. More 'insurance'

I understand that. I also appreciate the wisdom of offloading the risk
somewhat by offering specimens to trusted friends and organisations.

Franz

Chris also has the additional problems of getting hold of uncontaminated
seed for the species in the first place - you would not believe the
paperwork etc involved with some species. I consider myself lucky, our NC

is
of hybrids so I get to choose what's in and what's out! although as one of
three collections I do have to take account of the other two's point of

view
:~) and although Clematis viticella is completely hardy I still take
cuttings each year and like Chris give plants to gardens where I know I

can
get material back if I have to.
BTW should there be an H in Diascia?

Thanks for more interesting information about National Collections.

And no, I had a fit of the finger twitters. The word is Diascia, as you
said

Franz