Old 05-01-2004, 09:43 PM
Diana Kulaga

Default Zygopetalum!

If you order an orchid via my website (or visit my booth at a show, or come
into my shadehouse, and select a plant), do you _really_ want me to grill
you about your growing conditions before I allow you to purchase it?

Even if you personally might prefer that, I can tell you from experience
that a lot of customers don't -- and some will get quite huffy about it!

Personally, I think it would be a good service to a customer to politely ask
about growing conditions, at least if the transaction is in person. (Doing
so on the web might seem kind of cold.) After all, if a customer purchases
something that will quickly expire after purchase, that does no good for the
seller or the buyer. Perhaps a way to handle it would be to ask if the
customer needs culture advice for the plant. Someone who knows what he/she
is doing will say no, while a newbie would gratefully accept, and buy
something else if the plant in question is not suitable for its intended
environment.

No, I wouldn't relish being "grilled" about my growing conditions, but it's
not what you say, it's how you say it...........

Diana