Old 05-01-2004, 10:20 PM
Tim Tyler

Default Edible plant taxonomy

Mike Lyle wrote or quoted:
Tim Tyler wrote in message ...

http://sprouting.org/taxonomy/plants/

Excellent: thank you very much. [...] Your list narrows the gap a bit.

I /do/ plan to add more species as time passes.

As well as the work involved, there is some tension between completeness -
and having a page that doesn't take forever to load, and isn't too loaded
with obscure species that nobody has heard of.

Some things are missing because tracking down taxonomic information is
not always trivial - but having said that, if anyone thinks I'm missing
important species, feel free to tell me about it - and I'll see what I
can do.

I found preparing the page very instructive.

For instance, I learned that coffee "beans" and chocolate "beans" are not
related to other beans - or to each other - and that chocolate, okra and
durian most likely share their pentagonal symmetry - and other properties -
through a genetic relationship.
--