Old 05-01-2004, 11:02 PM
Salty Thumb

Default What's the best way to store seeds?

Frogleg wrote in
:

On Sun, 04 Jan 2004 11:26:17 -0500, Navin R. Johnson
wrote:

Last summer I grew some Chinese Hot Peppers that were simply the best
peppers I've ever tasted. I kept a bunch of the seeds and would like to
store them for future use - 4-5 years from now. What's the best way to
store them?

Just curious. Why 4-5 years? While many chile seeds will grow after
long storage, germination rates *do* drop off in time. As for
storing, your greatest enemy is moisture. Whether at room temperature,
in the 'fridge, or in the freezer, making sure they're thoroughly dry
and storing in a sealed container (jar or ziplock plastic) is
recommended. Stored in the dark is better, too.

I don't know about Navin, but personally I don't have access to ginormous
acreages and I'd be hard pressed to go through a packet of pepper seeds in
10 years, let alone 5. Besides what are you going to do when NEPND or
ROSSNS comes around and everybody goes Kookoo for cocoa puffs?

Personally I just stuck mine in a pickle jar with some computer weenie
dessicant in a cool, dark corner of the garage.

*NEPND = not enough phone number digits, ROSSNS = ran out of social
security numbers