Old 05-01-2004, 11:12 PM
David Hill

Default Strawberries (questions)

"...........Farmers markets in Kentucky aren't like the ones out West
(California etc).
What would I do with 4000 quarts of strawberries if they didn't sell
(assuming each plant produces a quart of berries)? My family would be eating
strawberries every night for supper haha............"

Strawberries don't give you a crop all in one go, you would be picking every
2 or 3 days for about 4 weeks so would be getting about 250 quarts a pick
on average, if your cropping figures were correct, though I doubt if you
would get more than a third of that the first year,( you have to allow for
sub standard fruit, bird loss and damage). Have a look at this site....
http://www.gardenaction.co.uk/fruit_...strawberry.asp

I know it's UK but will give you an idea of what to do etc.You talk in
quarts, I recon a quart of strawberries to be around 1 lb of fruit.

David Hill
Abacus nurseries
www.abacus-nurseries.co.uk