Old 06-01-2004, 12:42 AM
Navin R. Johnson

Default What's the best way to store seeds?

On 04 Jan 2004 23:35:36 GMT, (SAS567) wrote:

I keep my seeds in separate paper sacks, a little bit smaller than a lunch sack
and leave them on the shelf in the garage. They freeze in the winter and get
very warm in the summer. They have always germinated the following year. I've
used my dill seed for the past 3yrs.
Sue in Mi. (zone 5)

Thanks Sue

FYI, I've had 10-year-old dill seeds germinate without fail. A couple of
years ago I found an old plastic bag full of dill seeds that had fallen
behind a chest in the garage. They were dated 11-90! I thought, what
the hell, and planted them - thickly. To my surprise at least half of
them came up.

When I do plant peppers, I usually only put in a few plants so a pack of
pepper seeds could theoretically last me for the rest of my life. Only
problem is I've had fairly poor results germinating pepper seeds that
are only a couple of years old. The Chinese seeds I have now are
basically irreplaceable - the friend who originally gave me the seeds
has moved to another state and we've lost contact. I want to put away a
whole bunch for the next time I grow a large amount of plants - maybe
four or five years from now. Thanx again.

NRJ