Old 06-01-2004, 01:32 PM
Frogleg

Default What's the best way to store seeds?

On Mon, 05 Jan 2004 19:22:05 -0500, Navin R. Johnson
wrote:

On Mon, 05 Jan 2004 15:42:46 GMT, Frogleg wrote:

On Sun, 04 Jan 2004 11:26:17 -0500, Navin R. Johnson
wrote:

Last summer I grew some Chinese Hot Peppers that were simply the best
peppers I've ever tasted. I kept a bunch of the seeds and would like to
store them for future use - 4-5 years from now. What's the best way to
store them?

Just curious. Why 4-5 years?

The reason I want to keep them for five or so years - I have a small
garden and usually grow lots of herbs and a few cherry tomatoes. Last
year one of my gardening buddies gave me some 'special' Chinese Hot
Pepper seeds to try out. She actually got them from an old guy while she
was in China and then had to 'smuggle' them out. I didn't have much room
so only planted a couple of plants. Those two plants were prolific and
the peppers were fantastic so I kept a lot of the seeds and then planted
30 more plants this past summer. I ended up with a ton of peppers and
after drying now have at least a four or five year supply - and that's
after giving lots to my friends and family. I won't need any more
peppers for awhile and just wanted to be sure that I have at least a few
live seeds for the next time. Thanks again for all the info.

If possible, I would keep growing a couple of plants each year as
insurance. There's nothing like planting a bunch of older seeds and
having *none* germinate! Been there; done that. No fun.